It is commonly known that plants and humans have a symbiotic relationship. Humans use oxygen and create a bi-product of CO2 (carbon dioxide) and plants use CO2 and release oxygen into the atmosphere. It is often said that talking to your plants helps them to grow and this may be due to the release of CO2 by us directly onto their leaves which increases their intake of CO2 which in turn increases growth, by increasing photosynthesis.Now in the natural world CO2 is all around plants and they grow well, but hydroponic growing is different as it does not involve the use of soil, and instead uses water and nutrients to enable plant growth. Yet this would all be in vain if the CO2 level in the room was not at the right level. Less CO2 means less growth for the plants and thus more CO2 means more growth.The amount of CO2 present in air is around 400-450 ppm (parts per million), so if one increased the amount of CO2 where plants are grown hydroponically one should expect more growth in crops. However as with most things in life it is not quite as simple as that, as having too much CO2 can also be detrimental to plant growth. So that's where the gadgets come in. CO2 meters can be bought from any hydroponic supplier and measure the amount of CO2 in your grow room. There are different ways of increasing the amount of CO2 in your hydroponic system but which you choose will depend on the size of your shed or room.CO2 control unit - These are units that measure the amount of CO2 in the room and can be set to increase venting from the outside to increase the level of CO2 up to the level you want.• Monitors the level of CO2 and engages vents as necessary so increases automation of the system.
• Can be expensive depending on what system you decide to go for.CO2 boosts - These are a variety of substances that can be added to the system like the For more info visit Hydroponics Leicester nutrients and they generate CO2 which is used by the plants.• Relatively cheap.
• Best used half an hour after the lights are switched on, or half an hour before they are turned off.
• Fans cannot be used as they will remove the generated CO2. Which can be difficult if the temperature has risen.
• Could be difficult to regulate the levels of CO2 achieved depending on the amount added.CO2 canisters - A CO2 canister can be used to increase the level of CO2 controllers can be used to release the gas when it reaches a low level.• More suitable for larger hydroponics units.
• Must be used during the light phase and the fans should not be used otherwise the CO2 released will be removed from the room.
• Costly and involves time hassle in obtaining the canisters and getting them refilled.
• Can be heavy but can be bought in aluminium canisters to reduce this. Visit Hydroponics Leicester for details